Suspected police killer arrested in Braamfontein

The suspected police killer aged 33 was arrested by a multidisciplinary team within 8 hours after the deceased was murdered. In the early hours of 15 July in Braamfontein.

An off duty police official who was stationed at SAPS Burgersfort was allegedly gunned down in Lebowakgomo area by unknown assailants who were driving in a Bronze Volkswagen Golf 7 GTI.

The National Head of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, Lt General Godfrey Lebeya immediately activated a 72-hour-plan to hunt down the suspects.

The Provincial Head of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation in Limpopo Province, Major General Gopz Govender led the multidisciplinary team comprising Limpopo Hawks’ Serious Organised Crime Investigation Tracking Team, South African Police Service Crime Intelligence from national office, SAPS Gauteng Highway Patrol, Bravlor Risk, Tracker Connect, ICB-Insurance Crime Bureau, BadBoyz Security, GTP Sleu, Ekurhuleni Metro Police Department and Trio Tactical.

After conducting a thorough investigation, the team was led to Braamfontein in Johannesburg, Gauteng on the very same day (15 July).The suspected vehicle with 3 occupants was spotted driving in the area and it was followed and tactically cornered.The driver of the vehicle was suspected to be the one that killed the cop in Lebowakgomo and he was placed under arrest.

Further investigation led the team to his residential address at Rooihuiskraal in Centurion (Pretoria). Upon searching the house, the team found a firearm suspected to have been used in murdering the deceased and it was seized. The team also seized a vehicle (GTI Golf 7), large amount of money and a cellphone.The investigation to establish if the suspect is not involved in other crimes is underway.

The suspect will appear in the Lebowakgomo Magistrate’s Court soon to face murder, possession of unlicensed firearm and ammunition and other possible charges.The National Head of the Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation, Lt General Godfrey Lebeya has appreciated the swift reaction of the team. “Although there was a 72 hour operational plan in place, the case was cracked within 8 hours”, Lt General Lebeya said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *